The Isle of Palms
Originally named Hunting Island then Long Island, IOP as its called by locals is approx. 25,000 years old, and was originally inhabited by Sewee Indians and then Pirates used it to hide their treasure in the dunes. IOP also played a role in both American Revolution and Civil War as a protection for Fort Moultrie at Sullivan’s Island.
The island was purchased in 1899, was renamed Isle of Palms and furnished with a hotel, beach pavilion and ferris wheel. In 1975 Sea Pines Co. developed a resort similar to their popular Hilton Head location, originally named Isle of Palms Beach and Racquet Club, is now known as Wild Dunes. Located 12 miles from downtown Charleston, Isle of Palms is 5.4 square miles long. Comprised of Marsh on the intercostal side and beach dunes on the Atlantic side. Front Beach located from 10th – 14th street is a designated beach area for locals and tourists visiting the island.
With restaurants, bars, rentals and shops. The island attracts visitors with its 2 golf courses, Bike paths, County Park & beach facilities, city park with ball fields, recreation department and dog park. Fishing, swimming, beach volleyball, boating and other water sports are popular from the IOP marina.
[resortpro-search-filter location_area_name=’Isle of Palms’]